Updated 8/24/17 from an article originally published 1/30/2015.
Let’s say you’re in the U.S. Navy and your home is Naval Station Norfolk in Norfolk, Virginia — the biggest naval base in the world.
You have spent two years building a life in this east coast epicenter of military activity. You’re hanging out at The NorVa, eating at Red Dog Saloon and decorating your ship in the annual Festival of Lights. Then, suddenly you get the news: in three days, you’re scheduled to ship out for a six-month deployment.
What will you do with all of your stuff? Where can you find a safe space to store your belongings while you’re overseas? You need to find self storage in Norfolk— fast.
Why self storage? Because moving is part of military life.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that today, more than 2.7 million people serve in the U.S. Armed Forces. For America’s servicemen and women, moving is a part of life; military families can expect to relocate every two years.
If you find yourself facing overseas travel or extended deployment, chances are you won’t have the time–or the capacity–to haul your vehicle, furniture and personal items cross-country to another city closer to your permanent home.
The good news? Military storage can be a great way to prepare yourself, your family and your valuables for leave.
Using Storage During a Military Deployment
Whether you’re storing a few personal items, a vehicle or an entire houseful of furniture, renting a storage unit will ease your transition. And remember, you’re not alone: military members rent 95% of storage units near U.S. military bases.
Chances are there’s a storage facility near your base–find storage near you now. With monthly payment options, safe locations and military discounts, you can prepare for your deployment with peace of mind.
Things to Remember when Renting Military Storage
- Consider climate controlled storage. Humidity, sunlight and fluctuating temperatures can wreak havoc on your furniture, important documents, electronics and even your clothes while in self storage. Consider climate controlled storage if you are on an extended deployment.
- Don’t waste money on extra storage space! How much stuff do you have to store? Don’t pay for room you don’t use. Use our storage unit size estimator to figure out how much storage you actually need.
- Haul your stuff for free. When you rent storage with Life Storage, you get the use of a free rental truck. It’s up to you to find friends to carry everything.
If you are in the military and have specific storage questions, feel free to contact us at your convenience. Safe travels!
More Self Storage Resources:
- 5 Simple Tips for Safe Storage
- Choosing the Right Boxes for Storage
- How to Store a Car the Right Way – Video
Do you have tips or hints for servicemen and women traveling overseas? Please leave your thoughts in the comments below or tweet at us @LifeStorage.