At Life Storage, we know that our people are the source of our success, and they are the foundation of our engagement with all stakeholders. Therefore, we strive to attract and retain the highest quality team members with competitive compensation and benefits, opportunities for personal growth and development, safe working conditions and a culture that emphasizes fair and equitable treatment.
We are proud of our robust training and professional development programs:
- All employees have access to comprehensive online training tools that cover everything from job specific training to compliance and soft skill training.
- Emerging Leaders Development program implemented to identify, mentor, train and promote store team members who show leadership potential.
- All employees receive formal, annual performance assessments and feedback.
We listen to our employees:
- We conduct annual, anonymous surveys of all employees to proactively identify areas for improvement and implement action plans to address survey feedback.
- Our most recent comprehensive engagement survey in 2018 showed an 80% engagement rate by our team members with an 80% response rate.
We offer a competitive benefits package that includes:
- Health insurance (medical, dental, vision)
- Life, Critical Illness and Accident Insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan and matching
- Leave of absence programs above and beyond those required by law
- Paid time off (also available for select volunteering efforts)
- Robust Employee Assistance Program
- Bonus opportunities based on individual, store and corporate performance
- Extensive employee health and well-being program, including: biometric screenings, employee discounts, flu shot clinic at home office, wellness fair at home office, interactive health and wellness website, health and wellness library of resources
Attracting and retaining a large, loyal and satisfied customer base is fundamental to driving shareholder value. Life Storage provides high quality service that exceeds the needs and expectations of our customers through excellent customer service, innovative technology and convenience. We are laser-focused on delivering a quality self-storage experience that our customers will love and tell their friends and family about.
- Newsweek's "America's Best Customer Service" award in 2019, 2020 and 2021
- A+ Rating on Better Business Bureau
- Top-rated Storage company on Trust Pilot
- Average customer satisfaction score of more than 93% in 2020
We have a robust, multi-step process to ensure customer satisfaction:
- All customers receive customer satisfaction surveys following initial unit rental and 3-month follow up, as well as when they vacate.
- Customers are encouraged to provide feedback via online survey forms, social media, and in person; all reported issues are filed and investigated if appropriate
- Thorough internal mechanisms and store visit reports designed to track store operational performance and deliver feedback and guidance to store teams.
Service & Safety Commitment
We are committed to providing safe environments for our customers, their goods, as well as our employees. Our rigorous safety program includes:
- Employee training on our safety and emergency procedures and crisis management: responding to natural disasters, risk management, OSHA training, personal safety and equipment use.
- Regular fire and incident response testing.
- Customer property damage reporting and corrective action investigation procedure
- Operations manual that details daily, weekly, monthly and other required regular equipment maintenance and repair.
- Medical Emergency Response Team (MERT) at home office: Group of employees who have been certified under NYS law to perform CPR and first aid. This team undergoes skills assessment courses twice per year and is re-certified annually.
Our Social Impact Programs
Life Storage is committed to being part of a catalyst for positive change, both within our organization by creating an inclusive and supportive workplace - where everyone can advance and thrive - and within the community - by making a meaningful impact in the communities we serve. Our Diversity, Equality & Inclusion program and Community Engagement program are designed to help us further these commitments and benefit all of our stakeholders.Read More about our Social Impact Programs
Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion
The Life Storage Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion (DEI) program is focused on creating a work environment that values differences, fosters inclusion, and promotes collaboration throughout the organization. Key components of our DEI program include increased education & communication with a focus on DEI, such as celebrating our diverse backgrounds, honoring events and holidays of multiple cultures, and integrating diversity training for all our team members. For more information, please refer to our Diversity, Equality & Inclusion program summary.
The "Life in our Communities" program illustrates our commitment to giving back to the communities in which we live and do business and has a direct connection to our DEI program. Through thoughtful, community-based needs assessment, community outreach, organized volunteer efforts, and charitable support, we believe we can make meaningful and lasting impacts on our communities. By focusing on specific areas of need, we ensure that our resources are allocated appropriately and effectively. For more information, please refer to our Community Engagement program summary.
Community Involvement Highlights
- Frequent opportunities for employee volunteering.
- Organized contactless food drives to support FeedMore WNY.
- Sponsored What She's Made Of virtual event hosted by the WNY Women's Foundation.