At Life Storage, we know that our people are the source of our success. Our team members are the foundation of our engagement with all stakeholders. We strive to attract and retain the highest quality team members with competitive compensation and benefits, opportunities for personal growth and development, safe working conditions and a culture that emphasizes fair and equitable treatment.
We are proud of our robust training and professional development programs:
- All employees have access to comprehensive online training tools that cover everything from job specific training to compliance and soft skill training
- Multiple weeks of formal training for new store team members in their first year to ensure they have the foundation to be successful in their roles and provide our customers with a high-quality experience
- All new area managers spend one week at our home-office for formal training and multiple weeks shadowing other managers in the field.
- Emerging Leaders Development program to identify, mentor, train and promote store team members who show leadership potential
- All employees receive formal, annual performance assessments and feedback
We listen to our employees:
We conduct annual, anonymous surveys of all employees to proactively identify areas for improvement and implement action plans to address survey feedback.
- Our most recent comprehensive engagement survey in 2018 showed an 80% engagement rate by our team members with an 80% response rate
We are committed to promoting gender diversity:
- Roughly 60% of our employees and managers are female
We offer a competitive benefits package that includes:
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision)
- Life, Critical Illness and Accident Insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan and matching
- Leave of absence programs above and beyond those required by law
- Paid time off (also available for select volunteering efforts)
- Robust Employee Assistance Program
- Bonus opportunities based on individual, store and corporate performance
- Extensive employee health and well-being program, including: biometric screenings, employee discounts, flu shot clinic at home office, wellness fair at home office, interactive health and wellness website, health and wellness library of resources
Attracting and retaining a large, loyal and satisfied customer base is fundamental to driving shareholder value. Life Storage provides high quality service that exceeds the needs and expectations of our customers through excellent customer service, innovative technology and convenience. We are laser-focused on delivering a quality self-storage experience that our customers will love and tell their friends and family about.
Life Storage is the recipient of Newsweek's “America's Best Customer Service” award in both 2019 and 2020, which is based on survey results of retailers and service providers from 141 categories, including storage centers. We believe that this award is a testament to the commitment of all Life Storage team members, whether they are working in the field, the call center or the home office.
We have a robust, multi-step process to ensure customer satisfaction:
- All new customers receive customer satisfaction surveys following initial unit rental and 3-month follow up, as well as when they vacate.
- Customers can provide feedback anytime via our survey form or via social media if they have an issue, as well as feedback to staff at any store whenever they want. All reported issues are filed and investigated if appropriate.
- Internal 56-question Store Visit Report assessment with results provided to the store manager via the Store Operations Scorecard.
- Third-party secret shopper service that conducts 15-point assessment.
- Average customer satisfaction score of more than 93% over the last five years.
At Life Storage, we believe that by meeting our civic responsibilities, we will contribute to the betterment of the communities in which we do business. We aim to make meaningful and lasting impacts on our communities through volunteer efforts, charitable giving and community-centric employee engagement.
- Frequent promotion of community volunteerism
- Sponsored over 450 community and school youth athletics organizations in 2019
Service and Safety Commitment
We are committed to providing safe environments for our customers, their goods, as well as our employees. Our Operations, Facilities and Training and Quality Assurance teams are responsible for our product safety protocols, including oversight, evaluation, testing and continuous improvement of our operations. Our rigorous safety program includes:
- Employee training on our safety and emergency procedures and crisis management: responding to natural disasters, risk management, OSHA training, personal safety and equipment use.
- Regular fire and incident response testing
- Third-party inspection of fire and other safety procedures as required by local, city and/or state law
- Customer property damage reporting and corrective action investigation procedure
- Operations manual that details daily, weekly, monthly and other required regular equipment maintenance and repair
- Corrective action log and assessment
- Medical Emergency Response Team (MERT) at home office: Group of employees who have been certified under NYS law to perform CPR and first aid. This team undergoes skills assessment courses twice per year and is re-certified annually.