As we gain responsibility, our lives become increasingly more complex. Our obligations can add unnecessary stress to everyday moments, creating a wave of tension and unrest. But our life doesn’t have to be so complicated, especially at home.
Having an easy-going, simple place to return to after a long day at work is just the respite most of us need to feel recharged and at ease.
Here are our favorite, most effective ways you can simplify your life by first starting at home.
Want to add some beauty to your home, too? Scroll to the bottom of this post to download our free (and inspired) wall art printables.
1. Streamline Your Bedroom
Your days, no matter how hectic, begin and end in the bedroom. Having a streamlined, clutter-free bedroom will inspire more restful sleep and help you approach your day with a calmer mind. Here are some ways to get started:
- Remove all dirty laundry from the bedroom. Keep a hamper in a closet and out of sight.
- Make your bed every morning. This is the fastest way to a clean-looking, simplified room.
- Eliminate clutter from all bedroom surfaces. This means nightstands and dressers. Don’t let these surfaces become a catch-all for knick knacks and miscellaneous items.
2. Cut Down on Laundry Time
Laundry is one of those chores most people dread. It is a never-ending cycle that can quickly go from manageable to overwhelming. Get organized by creating a laundry routine that will cut down on your overall time spent here. Having a routine will make tackling laundry a much simpler process. Some ways to cut down on laundry time include:
- Give each person in your household a “clean” basket. Fold clothes into each basket and when full, have the family member put their own clothes away.
- Do a little laundry every day. Keeping the pile moving is the only way to keep it from becoming out of hand and chaotic. Set aside a few minutes each morning and night to switch loads.
- Create a laundry routine and stick to it. Marking X’s on a printable routine will make you feel more accomplished when you’ve completed the task.
3. Organize Your Pantry
Having a disorganized pantry will not only make you feel more overwhelmed when preparing food, it will also cost you a lot of money. Not having a clear idea of what you have stocked in your pantry will result in you potentially overspending on groceries (we prefer saving money on groceries whenever possible). Since the kitchen is the heart of the home, it’s best to keep the heart of the kitchen organized, neat, and as simple as possible. To get started:
- Empty your pantry completely onto the counter.
- Sort items by category and toss expired goods.
- Use storage canisters for dry goods and label, label, label!
4. Purge Unnecessary Items
One of the key ways to simplify your life is actually very simple. It involves getting rid of things that weigh you down. But remember, there is a key difference between purging everything and purging just those things that no longer serve you. Take a hard look at your closet and areas where items tend to build up. Ask yourself the following:
- When’s the last time I used this item?
- When will I potentially use this item again?
- Do I have a sentimental attachment to this item?
- How does this item make me feel?
These questions will help you make a reasonable judgment as to whether or not you need the item in your life. Getting rid of excess will help you feel lighter, and in effect, happier.
5. Learn to Appreciate the Simple Things
Simplifying your life at home isn’t always about decluttering or organizing. Sometimes it’s about learning to appreciate all the simple moments one can have at home. Your home should be like a retreat where you revitalize yourself in preparation to face the world again. Cozy blankets, fuzzy socks, and a cup of coffee can actually make a big difference between feeling at home and feeling restless and uneasy. Take some time to find cozy corners in your home where relaxation is the only obligation. Put aside household chores, food prep, electronics, and any other distraction to just appreciate your home as it stands in that moment. This might include:
- Reading your favorite book.
- Taking a nap on your favorite porch swing.
- Getting lost in a task that doesn’t feel like a chore, like gardening.
- Drinking some tea and listening to music.
The point here is to hone in on activities you can do at home that will ultimately calm the mind and make your life seem more simple.
Download our Free Simplify Wall Art
We hope you enjoyed some of our ideas on how you can simplify your life. Download one of our free printables for a gentle yet beautiful reminder of how living a simpler life can be fulfilling in ways we never thought possible.
Subscribe for Free Printables
Join our mailing list to receive exclusive access to free giveaways once a month.